Technical issues and help in: forum registration/posting, account creation/confirmation, platforms and licenses issues.

Moderator: Oleg

REDRUM

Post by REDRUM »

Hi Guys,

I haven't used ZM for over 10 years! I recently came back, more or less motivated by 3d printing some models that I have had for a very long time. I purchased a 1 month license to test the latest ZM3, however I wanted to give some feedback on the licensing system.

I have somewhat slow internet by global standards, and as I am often in and out of ZM I have run into a very annoying problem. Every time I start ZM3 and attempt to import a model or perform some other function to continue a workflow process, I am denied due to license restrictions. This means that I open ZM3 I need to wait for it to load, patiently click on the Help button, goto the licensing TAB and wait for it to update and validate my license.

The delays in having to authenticate my license every single time is far too frustrating, are you planning on resolving this? Surely you can implement a better mechanic for validation, or even cache validation somehow on a daily basis, or hourly? I understand why its required, but its a big hindrance at the moment.

I am otherwise really enjoying ZM3, it has really helped me achieve some things with my models getting them print ready, and also printing some models from popular engines!

P.S. I linked my account and forum account, however I am still restricted to read only.
Oleg
Site Admin

Re: Feedback: Returning to ZM after 10 years

Post by Oleg »

Hi. Thanks for your feedback.

License validation have been made to be "a must" operation in attempt to fight warez copies usage. Unfortunately, this gave very small effect but still better than nothing. ZModeler3 allows license to save validation and run in offline mode when long-term license (6 month and more) is purchased (or a summary of your paid licenses exceed 6 month). This is considered by licensing server as "trusted" user and it allows ZModeler to save license and validation on your hard drive, so ZM can start later and import/export without validation. Actually, you can see this granted "trust period" on your 1-month license as "Revalidated in 6 days" message, left from good old days when 1-month license was allowed to save key and validation for offline too.

So, to the moment I keep suggesting long term licenses to users, instead of removing online validation "a must requirement" at first place.
REDRUM

Post by REDRUM »

Hi Oleg,

Thanks for the reply! I completely understand the need, and your licensing system makes complete sense.

What if, for licensed copies <6 months, you force the validation during the splash screen? This may slightly delay start-up for users with short term licenses, however, it would be a good trade-off instead of having to constantly remember to navigate to the about menu and then licensing tab to get your license working.
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

I'll check whether license verification code can migrate out of About window. its somewhat bind to this window if I'm not mistaken.