Zmodeler 3 - Folder option? FBX Export/Import?

Technical issues and help in: forum registration/posting, account creation/confirmation, platforms and licenses issues.

Moderator: Oleg

DJKustoms

Zmodeler 3 - Folder option? FBX Export/Import?

Post by DJKustoms »

Hello, It's been alittle over year since I've been on the forums here. But there has been a few updates over the past year, and there is two questions that I keep asking myself if it will ever be added or a plugin to allow this.

The first one is if there is a folder option in Zmodeler 3 yet? Similar to children in Cinema 4D. Well let's say I have 5 objects. I put two of them in a folder, and click the uncheck box to hide that folder to just show the 3 objects remaining. This comes in very handy in my opinion because for me alone my projects normally has over 90 objects. In past Zmodelers I had it was pretty messy when you have that many objects scrolling through to uncheck curtain ones.

Here's a picture from Cinema 4D to get a better idea of the layout.

The next one was a question I asked the last time I was here. Which is what files can import, and export? When I asked this question last year there was only 5-6 export options. I'm mainly looking for exporting to .FBX files.

Oleg
Site Admin

Re: Zmodeler 3 - Folder option? FBX Export/Import?

Post by Oleg »

the hierarchy of objects (like folders for files) is available in ZModeler since 2nd evolution. You can use "dummy helper" object to create a "folder", then you drag&drop it whereever you like and drag&drop objects into this folder. You can use Ctrl+click in hierarchy view for multiple selection of items, so you can drag&drop multiple objects at a time.

This might not be very convenient to have "dummy node" as a grouping folder if you intended to export some file straight from this scene, since "dummy helper" is still a 3D object, and not a "group" like in cinema 4D or other editors.

Concerning the FBX, it's not in my todo list at all. Instead, a commonly used "Collada DAE" support was added, so you can import/export .dae files which are generally well-supported by most of 3D editing packages.
DJKustoms

Post by DJKustoms »

Oleg wrote:the hierarchy of objects (like folders for files) is available in ZModeler since 2nd evolution. You can use "dummy helper" object to create a "folder", then you drag&drop it whereever you like and drag&drop objects into this folder. You can use Ctrl+click in hierarchy view for multiple selection of items, so you can drag&drop multiple objects at a time.

This might not be very convenient to have "dummy node" as a grouping folder if you intended to export some file straight from this scene, since "dummy helper" is still a 3D object, and not a "group" like in cinema 4D or other editors.

Concerning the FBX, it's not in my todo list at all. Instead, a commonly used "Collada DAE" support was added, so you can import/export .dae files which are generally well-supported by most of 3D editing packages.
Interesting about the "dummy helper". I could get past the .FBX issue. But I guess you' won't ever have a real folder option on your todo list in the future?
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

I have a "groups" and "layers" in my todo list instead. :)
DJKustoms

Post by DJKustoms »

Oleg wrote:I have a "groups" and "layers" in my todo list instead. :)
When do you think you might be working on it? Love to hear in the future. :)
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

unfortunately these are far away to the moment. There are some higher priority things in todo list :(