import ets2 mod.

SCS Software ATS and ETS2 editing using ZModeler3 filter. Models, Materials, Animation.

Moderator: Oleg

Alesso8620

import ets2 mod.

Post by Alesso8620 »

Hey is it possible to import a ets2 truck that isnt in base.scs?? :lol:
Oleg
Site Admin

Re: import ets2 mod.

Post by Oleg »

in most of cases yes. However, the model might be locked by the author and ZModeler will refuse to load it.
If the model is not in base.scs file, then you should specify a path to the model base folder in "Mod folder" entry, so the importer will be able to catch up materials and textures both from unpacked base and from unpacked mod.

For example, if you have unpacked the mod to D:\ETS2Mods folder and would like to import a D:\ETS2Mods\vehicle\truck\scania_2022hl\truck.pmd file, then the "D:\ETS2Mods" is your "Mods folder" on import.

A grayed-out "Import" button on attempt to import a file means the file is locked and can't be imported.
Alesso8620

Post by Alesso8620 »

Actually i only want to change the skin on it, but dont know how?
Alesso8620

Post by Alesso8620 »

thx. for answer ;) i can import but I get this message. what have I done wrong? Litterally I only wanna change the skin or paintjob. but since I cant find the (template) like you can for std. scs trucks. I dont know how on standalone trucks ;)
ZModeler is ready.
Failed to locate texture "C:\Users\troel\OneDrive\Dokumenter\Euro Truck Simulator 2\mod/vehicle/truck/share/glass_ex.dds".
Failed to detect path origin. Defaulting to "/vehicle/truck/truck"
This model can be safely sliced by bones, but "Merge models" option forced skeleton and bones creation.
"
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

you should have your base.scs unpacked to some folder and this folder should be specified as base folder.
For example, if you unpack base.scs to D:\ETS2\base, then specify this folder as base folder. The "glass_ex.dds" will be found in D:\ETS2\base'vehicle\truck\share\glass_ex.dds.

Then unpack your mod to D:\ETS2\mods folder and specify this folder as "mod folder" on import. Given that, ZModeler will search for materials/textures both in unpacked base (e.g. glass_ex.dds is a commonly used texture and found in base) and in mod's folder too.

The "Slice by bones" is preferable scenario for trucks import, so toggle off "Merge models" option to get model loaded as a set of objects.
Alesso8620

Post by Alesso8620 »

okay. i saw a video on about extracting, so i made it like that. but i will make no way. but my harddrive is not in like D: or E: at the moment. but only C:.
will it be possible to just move that folder i have made to- C:\Documents\ETS2\mod?
or will it make som problem?
I have only imported this one mod?
C:\Users\troel\OneDrive\Dokumenter\zmod\Zmod Import\Ny mappe thats how it is now.
but I Have made this path befor I imported first time:-
C:\Users\troel\OneDrive\Dokumenter\Extracted Game File there is base extracted. so I have base.scs an def.scs. When imported first time i set this as base.scs
An then i have tried mod C:\Documents\ets2\mod. because i have both my modZip an unpacked mod in that folder.
I have also tried to unpack mod an kopi files to Zmodimport folder.
dont know wich solution is best?
thx for fast answer;)
I can see i can load the Glass_ex in texture browser would it just to do that Or?
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

it's better to let importer find and load all required materials and textures automatically on import, as this will configure them properly for later export.

It doesn't actually matters where you unpack the base.scs and the mod file. you just need to specify these folders properly on import as Base folder and Mod folder respectively.

So, if where your base.scs file was extracted to - is your Base folder.
where the mod was unpacked is your mod folder.
Alesso8620

Post by Alesso8620 »

okay. that give sense ;)
one last question ;)
what I am trying to is change the skin on a paid standalone truck. The Author promised me template. but have never got it. How do i change that? ;)
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

I'm not quite sure you actually need to import/export model to change the skin.
Skin is a texture file and it's configuration data in .sii file. In general, you need to create a new texture file and set it up in .sii file for the truck, so the game will use it. However, beside the texture itself (.dds image) you will need a texture object file (.tobj) that ZModeler generates on export. That's the only thing you might need ZModeler for (to make an export and get the .tobj file created). Also, you can render truck texture layout for standard skins (texture mapping set #2) and layout for custom/alternative skins (texture mapping set #3).

So, in short, this would look like this:
1. configure folders properly so you don't get any errors on import. An error regarding "vehicle_reflection" (or any other "***_reflection") is not a problem, ignore them.
2. locate material "truckpaint". open it's properties, locate "DETAIL2" texture slot and press texture map button to assign a texture there. A textures browser will appear. Add texture there manually (load it from disk and perfectly give it an unique name before you load it), say "my_skin_for_truck_abcd.dds". Press OK to revert back to material properties and set Use UV Mapping from "Manual UV#2" to "Manual UV#3".
3. Copy your mod folder (with the truck) as the "export_mod" folder, so every file and folder there is copied.
4. Make an export to the "truck.pmd" file located in "export_mod" folder on your disk, and mind to set "export_mod" as the "Mod folder" on export. You will overwrite the truck model file (and all other files) on export, but this will happen in "export_mod" folder, leaving original mod files in "mod" folder unchanged. This export will give you a "my_skin_for_truck_abcd.tobj" file in the truck's export folder (the same folder where you exported truck.pmd). You will need to copy your .dds file there.
### if you are not about to alter the truck mod, the following step is not required ####
5. Remove texture in "DETAIL2" texture slot of "truckpaint" material and export again, so exported model has no second texture assigned in "truckpaint" material on export (default setup of truckpaint material).

Make a .sii skin configuration for "my_skin_for_truck_abcd". I don't know this subject at all, as it is not actually related to ZModeler.
At this point, you've got the required .tobj file in truck folder, the .dds file there too and all other files are not needed, you can get rid of them. I don't know where the .sii file for your skin will be as I don't know the folder structure for custom skins. You can get rid of everything except the .tobj, .dds and .sii files. Pack the export_mod folder as your "my_skin_mod.scs".

Note, you can't just copy/move around the generated .tobj file to whatever folder you like, as this file contains explicit definition of where the .dds texture should be. If you need to specify a different folder where you need the .tobj and .dds be located, follow the "Paths and folders" guide topic pinned here on ETS forum. I advise to mess around with default setup first (skin and .tobj located in truck's folder). once you get used to it and get it in game, you can move on and make the desired folder setup like "/truck/upgrade/paintjob/custom_truck_whatever_its_name_is/"..
Alesso8620

Post by Alesso8620 »

okay.
I have only tried to make a simple skin in paint ;)
but the Author i bought the truck from promised to make skin for me..
but there is like template on... and I dont wonna share with others.'
An i have tryed to see in in data.Sii-Mats-tobj. what dds file to edit for changing the skin, but I get confused ;)
but I will try an play with it.
thansk Alot for answer an support ;)
Alesso8620

Post by Alesso8620 »

Hey Oleg ;)
Thx for the help an support ;)¨
Finally i have made it work ;)