AO bake noise (bug)

SCS Software ATS and ETS2 editing using ZModeler3 filter. Models, Materials, Animation.

Moderator: Oleg

Andrei_03

AO bake noise (bug)

Post by Andrei_03 »

Hello, how can I get my baked surface in a better quality? Without the noise and the bugs. I tried fiddling with the render parameters but not much worked

Oleg
Site Admin

Re: AO bake noise (bug)

Post by Oleg »

most likely your geometry has sliced edges there and emitted rays on an edge of one polygon are get hit with the edge of adjacent polygon.

In most of cases, the using "weld" tool with "multiple targets" mode can get rid of unnecessary edge cuts and retain edge cuts where uv-mapping requires them to be.

Other than that, you can only render a double- or quad-high texture resolution and then scale it down. E.g. render 4096x4096, save it, scale it down in image editor tool like photoshop or nVidia texture tool or something like that to 1024x1024 and save again.

Note, the AO render uses per-vertex normals, so there might be an effect of using Surface\Normals\Calculate tool before render and/or Surface\Normals\Smooth too.
Andrei_03

Re: AO bake noise (bug)

Post by Andrei_03 »

Thank you very much for the help! Those "Normals" tools really do make a difference