Gauge needles roll during animation playback.

SCS Software ATS and ETS2 editing using ZModeler3 filter. Models, Materials, Animation.

Moderators: Oleg, _RicH_

Gauge needles roll during animation playback.

Postby camarors51 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:58 am

After animating my speedometer needle for my current project, the needle rolls around at 2 or 3 points during playback. I had the same issue with the tachometer needle, but fixed it by adding more keys. This isn't helping with the speedometer needle though. It's a 120 mph speedo and I even tried setting 120 keys, 1 per mph. Still rolls around between keys. I centered the gauge up in perspective view and rotated on the Z axis, rotating geometry and axes. I never had this problem with the last truck I animated (a few months ago). Any ideas?
camarors51

Re: Gauge needles roll during animation playback.

Postby camarors51 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:08 am

I deleted the needle that I was using and copied the tachometer needle to the speedometer. This fixed the issue, but I'm still curious as to what was causing this.
camarors51

Re: Gauge needles roll during animation playback.

Postby Oleg » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:19 am

object axes were inaccurate. or rotation was not around one of axes (entire object turns and all axes rotates). In very hard scenarios, it is allowed to create intermediate dummy node in hierarchy with idle rotation angle, put your needle as a child of this dummy helper and record an animation when object rotates on just one arbitrary axis (e.g. Z axis only, starting from 0 to 120). In such a setup, needle object will have "relative to parent" axes on it being set to 0,0,0 rotation angles initially, so animation will be very accurate and precise.
Oleg
Site Admin

Return to ATS and ETS2 by SCS Software