UV-mapping, dirtmap errors and "separated"-tool

Troubleshooting gudes, solutions and other ZModeler3-related discussion

Moderator: Oleg

SenorPedia

UV-mapping, dirtmap errors and "separated"-tool

Post by SenorPedia »

Some things has been annoying me for quite a while now, so now I am asking you guys in hope for you to help me out here.

I always wanted to uv-map some vanilla vehicles, so I can make som emergency vehicles afterwards. I've been watching a lot of videos of how to do so, and they all seem to help enough.
I've followed these tutorials closely, but every time I'm spawning the car ingame, it has these annoying lines under the texture I've made, which I've experienced has something to do with the dirtmap. (See attachment)

The material holding the texture is indeed a "vehicle_paint3" which is allowing the car to have multiple liveries, which I want to in my case. But when I am editing the material in the material browser, it appears for the dirtmap to be a "Manual UV #1" where it needs to be a "Manual UV #2" as far as I'm concerned.
So when the vehicle gets dirty ingame, these annoying lines appears. How do I prevent the material from changing the dirt-material to a Manual UV #1, and that it'll stay as a Manual UV #2 together with the livery that also needs to be a UV #2.

-----------------------------------------------------------
One other topic is when I'm UV-mapping the vehicle.

I want to only choose parts of the bumber here, which SCRAT does here (See attachment)

But when I am doing it, it selects the WHOLE bumber, which I don't want it to. The vehicle I'm mapping in this case is a Jackal found in OpenIV. (See attachment)

How do I change this too?

Thanks in advance
Oleg
Site Admin

Re: UV-mapping, dirtmap errors and "separated"-tool

Post by Oleg »

It seems like vehicle_paint3 shader shares dirt-UV-mapping with one of texture layers. If you import a model and export it with no changes, does "vehicle_paint3" gives the same effect?

Concerning the "Separated" tool it works the following way: it selects a given polygons and every polygon that shares a common edge with the given one; then in continues with newly-selected polygons and their neighbors. So in your case, the outer part of front bumper is a surface whether polygons are connected to each others and share edges. For example, Separated tool did not selected the inner part and the bottom part of the bumper, as these polygons are not connected to the outer surface (do not share common edges). A sharp edge is not a "common" edge. Sharp edges are drawn as solid line in "Wireframe + Outline" mode. You can deselect unnecessary polygons with Select\Quadr tool for example.. any selection tool can act as deselection when you hold Ctrl key. Upon deselecting unnecessary polygons, you should detach selection from surrounding polygons if you are going to uv-map the "fragment" only. To do so, use "Detach" tool, just disable all options in it.