How exactly does the chamfer function work?

Troubleshooting gudes, solutions and other ZModeler3-related discussion

Moderator: Oleg

Zac

How exactly does the chamfer function work?

Post by Zac »

I made a quick flat L shape with some polygons and was hoping I could use the chamfer tool to round out the edge, does that make sense?
Oleg
Site Admin

Re: How exactly does the chamfer function work?

Post by Oleg »

this tool requires your mesh to be modelled already, so it refines existing edges only. It does not operate on "open-edges" border, the edge this till works with must have polygons on both sides attached.

Also, this tool will not work on "sharp" edges when vertices are duplicated and polygons on sides of some edge are not actually interconnected by common/shared vertices. For example, if you create a cube/box primitive, you can't apply chamfer to any of box edges, because each cube side/quad has it's own four vertices and does not share them with neighbor quads. Chamfer tool will not understand what "adjacent" polygons on an edge are you trying to smooth with this tool.

To see this tool working, you can, for example, create a torus primitive and apply this tool on vertices level to any cross-section (cross-circle) of torus.
Zac

Post by Zac »

ahh ok thank you! I was working on a low poly car model, and was hoping I could use the function to round out the edges to make it a better looking high poly model, such as where the fender meets the hood.
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

if fender polygons are sharing the vertices with hood polygons, you can use chamfer to round edges. that's exactly what the tool is supposed to do.

however, if the model is uv-mapper, it is quite likely have duplicate vertices on seam (between fender and hood). In such a case, chamfer will not work.
Zac

Post by Zac »

I still cannot figure out how to use this tool properly, You see where the flared area of the fender conectes to the flat area? I want that to be smooth, and not sharp, how do I do so??
Attachments
Feb13.png
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

when you use chamfer tool you can start/end on open edge or straight in a point enclosed in a mesh. when you start from open edge, you can force chamfer tool to proceed straight to the point you start with by clicking two times on it. In example below I do so both on start and end point. When you click on start point only once, chamfer will "start" on this point with single vertex only and will make "several" vertices on second step only. This is shown on second animation, where I start and end with a single click on a point. Note, to finish chamfer with a single click point, you should hold CTRL key and click anywhere to specify "we are done".

A flyout window appears where you can specify amount of cross-section points and the width of chamfer on a mesh.

Click on preview to see an animated GIF:
chamfer_open_to_open.gif
chamfer_closed.gif
Zac

Post by Zac »

Thats exactly how I was hoping it would function and what I want to do, but I'll show you what happens when I try.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrhMGxKls8E

The edge I'm selecting is the only place where I want to add another row of polys so it smooths out the bend just a little.
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

your 0.2 setting is tooo big. try 0.02
Zac

Post by Zac »

Oleg wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:06 pm your 0.2 setting is tooo big. try 0.02
Thanks Oleg, that was exactly the problem!