file:opensaveservice.cpp line:941

Troubleshooting gudes, solutions and other ZModeler3-related discussion

Moderator: Oleg

thekkeith55

file:opensaveservice.cpp line:941

Post by thekkeith55 »

Every Z3d I have and try to open besides my autosaves all give that error upon opening the z3d.
Oleg
Site Admin

Re: file:opensaveservice.cpp line:941

Post by Oleg »

is your ZModeler version up to date? It should be 3.2.1 now.
The error at a given file/line indicates an incorrect file you try to open. Are these .z3d files for ZModeler3? They might be for ZModeler1 or ZModeler2 (even though ZModeler2 .z3d files should be able to open).

If you are sure your ZModeler version is the most recent and file is correct, attach any of problematic files here, I'll take a look.
thekkeith55

Post by thekkeith55 »

When i click download update it downloads, but when i restart it shows the download button again.
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

make sure you run ZModeler as Administrator and there is no other zmodeler3.exe process running in background.

Second, ensure you have "Updates" folder in ZModeler. Once you see updates downloaded, check whether there are any files in "Updates" folder. They will disappear when you shutdown ZModeler (these files will get installed).
thekkeith55

Post by thekkeith55 »

Yes, running as admin fixed the update issue, but still getting the line:941 error on my z3d files.
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

attach any of problematic .z3d file here.
thekkeith55

Post by thekkeith55 »

Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

this is a damaged .z3d file. it contains fragments of packed textures. Your scene has probably way too many textures and your ZModeler configuration on "Settings -> General -> Files -> Z3d Open&Save" has an option "Store textures" toggled.

I suggest to toggle this option off, so ZModeler does not put textures into .z3d file. You can leave them in the same folder or configure your shared "lookup" folders in Settings->Services->Textures window.

I assume any file you can't open with the error specified above is already damaged and unrecoverable.
thekkeith55

Post by thekkeith55 »

So, there is no way to get back all of my z3d's?
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

at least not the one you've sent me. In case other files give you "Invalid file signature", they are likely unrecoverable.

The problem might be in just one of your texture. For example, if you browse your textures in textures browser and see texture format specified as 0x.... (like 0x17 or something like that), this texture storing inside .z3d file might cause problems. Each and every texture should have a proper format specified there like RGB, ATI, DXT1, DXT5 and so on.
thekkeith55

Post by thekkeith55 »

You got it to open by turning store textures off? I did that and got the same error.
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

I've said your files are corrupt and can't be opened. I don't have any exact reason or a cause on what has happened, so I gave you a general advice that might be related to the cause. And no, your files are unrecoverable. You should keep older saves and/or backups of your files and as soon as you get a problem opening some file, you should immediately recover its backup copy. This is a file with *.bak extension that ZModeler creates in the same folder each time your save/resave your file. Rename *.bak to *.z3d and you will be able to open the backup copy. Also, in case of any problem opening a file, move all files out from "Autosave" folder (to keep them safe from being deleted), rename every and each file to have .z3d extension and open them one by one in attempt to locate the scene with the most recent changes.

To be honest, it looks very strange you get ever .z3d file corrupted, it might happen from time to time on some files, but having all of them damaged is quite strange.
thekkeith55

Post by thekkeith55 »

Somehow my computer deleted them all and I used, "Recuva" to "recover" them, then got that error.
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

That would be the cause of corrupt content of the file. To be more precise, files were not recovered properly, only fragments of files have been recovered.