Strange Shadow/Lighting

Troubleshooting gudes, solutions and other ZModeler3-related discussion

Moderator: Oleg

keithd203

Strange Shadow/Lighting

Post by keithd203 »

I'm getting this weird shadow/light thing on the model....
shadow3.jpg
Here's the material detail
shadow1.jpg
shadow2.jpg
I tried changing the shader and it appeared to fix this issue....
shadow4.jpg
But it is still there in game.
20190530142224_1.jpg
I am still learning Zm3 and this issue is probably something minor. Any thought or suggestions would be appreciated.
Oleg
Site Admin

Re: Strange Shadow/Lighting

Post by Oleg »

most likely it is caused by BUMP-mapping layer/texture. Ensure you have correct texture there, otherwise it can significantly affect shading. You can put plain color texture (rgb: 127, 127, 255), if you don't have a bump texture (or do this temporary to check whether bump texture is the cause this problem or not).
keithd203

Post by keithd203 »

Thanx Oleg, I tried that, and I tried changing the material to just a diff slot, but the weird shading is still there. Could it be something in the model itself?
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

most of shading issues is fixed in ZModeler with Surface\Normals\Calculate tool. If you get the problem after using this tool this is more likely related to material/shader used in game (or bad BUMP texture assignment). Mind, the BUMP texture can change surface shading dramatically, so if you get rid of this problem by using a "dif" shader in game, the issue is caused by BUMP texture.

There is one thing that can't be fixed by Surface\Normals\Calculate tool - the case when the topology of an object is wrong. The most common case of bad topology is when you have a back-facing polygons residing on the same vertices. This is usually the case with windscreen and glass object, but it could happen to be your case too. The object should be single-sided (you could be able to see through it when looking from the ground up to the sky).