GTA5: Cloth-simulated meshes

Forum for discussing title-page news and events around ZModeler

Moderators: Oleg, _RicH_

Re: GTA5: Cloth-simulated meshes

Postby Oleg » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:08 pm

i'm exploring the cloth-only yft files currently and can't get them to work. the cloth appears as arbitrary object and does not perform cloth simulation. Is this what you get in your test?
Oleg
Site Admin

Postby pnwparksfan » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:49 pm

I haven't tried making an entirely new cloth-only model yet, only editing existing ones. In testing with the flag props and with vb_28_tape.yft in both cases nothing spawned at all when I just exported it even without changes. I was finally able to get custom cloth working in a prop by using the structure of prop_beach_parasol_06, removing all but one poly from all the non-cloth meshes, replacing the .cloth with a custom one, and setting the .cloth material to adapt cloth_normal_spec. That is working for me now in-game.
pnwparksfan

Postby pnwparksfan » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:27 pm

Did some more testing recently and made a new mesh that I applied cloth settings to. Discovered that some combinations of the values in User Defined Options on a .cloth node result in the cloth being completely invisible in game. When I import cloth-only props, they only appear about half of the options, and don't appear when exported as such.
pnwparksfan

Postby pnwparksfan » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:16 pm

Oleg, do you have any idea which parameter (if any) might control how far the cloth can stretch? I've noticed that with very large cloth pieces, they will bend very far, and it seems to bend the same amount regardless of any options which I apply. Perhaps it's related also to the number of polygons?
pnwparksfan

Postby Oleg » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:09 pm

if i'm not mistaken, the first parameter (elasticity?) should be very small value like 0.0005 to prevent excessive stretch.
Oleg
Site Admin

Postby pnwparksfan » Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:52 am

Oleg wrote:if i'm not mistaken, the first parameter (elasticity?) should be very small value like 0.0005 to prevent excessive stretch.

Even at very low elasticity like 0.0001 it still seems to stretch the same amount.
pnwparksfan

Postby pnwparksfan » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:50 pm

Would it be possible for you to check when exporting cloth objects, and if no vertices have a static point, warn the user? On a couple occasions I've accidentally forgotten to set or accidentally deleted all of the static vertices. Then when I got in game I was of course confused why my cloth disappeared! A warning on export would help prevent these sorts of mistakes.
pnwparksfan

Postby Oleg » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:42 am

1. Export warning added on missing static points.
2. The particular issue with cloth shaders mentioned above is solved (only normal-mapped cloths were working, now any cloth shader should work fine).
Oleg
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Site news and events