GTA 5: ZModeler3 import/export plugin (Now available)

GTA San Andreas and GTA Vice City discussion.

Moderator: Oleg

Oleg
Site Admin

Re: GTA 5: ZModeler3 import/export plugin (NOT AVAILABLE)

Post by Oleg »

Mister Brooks wrote:Oleg please update status
done.
kieronm99

Post by kieronm99 »

HI=i oleg.
Does this mean that you will be releasing a Beta of zmodeler for gta v soon?
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

no. I'll not release beta, or anything that does not work as it should.
fps

Post by fps »

Oleg wrote:no. I'll not release beta, or anything that does not work as it should.
Oleg, I was thinking that it might be a good idea to test the filter very thoroughly with the help of the gta modding community. I think this way, every little aspect could be tested due to the number of people testing it. Remember the problems with gta 4 export filter? The annoying rc20 error that would come out of nowhere? I remember couple of years ago Kotton and smokey asked for new filters for gta iv and you said that the filter code was not to be changed completely to find the problem due to the amount of work it needed and you just changed some small values (the filters were called partition_test_xxxx_xxxx if i'm not mistaken) and they kind of worked and kind of didn't. Sometimes they would fix the rc20 error, sometimes they wouldn't.
What if the filter for gta v gets tested very thoroughly before the code gets complicated enough that any small change will require almost a complete rework of the code?
The heaviest and maybe most effective test (assuming that there is enough similarity between gta iv's and gta v's model reading construction) would be a 500,000-700,000k polygon model with around 200-250 materials assigned to different polygons of same mesh and separate meshes.
I had 142 materials on my lamborghini miura in zm, and it was a pain in the a** to get it working in the game without getting rc20.
The file sizes were tremendous (15-20mb) but I needed those materials for getting to look perfect in the game.
I will admit, the game didn't like it, but gta v's optimization and porting is much better than that of gta iv, and I hope that the game would take much more data before getting unhappy.
So, what do you think? Won't this make your work easier in terms of perfecting the code?
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

I doubt it's a good idea, as most of "testers" will start flooding the game with poorly made conversions. In my opinion, I'll make some basic tests on my own with the vehicle parked nearby (when it could be possible to test exports of cause), and If I'll be pleased, I could release an exporter then. until I get satisfied with result, I'll not release anything and barely other guys trying to get something exported with such an exporter could help me.

Of cause, a massive testing by means of modding community is a proper choice, but only on the very final stages and after the "final" release. I'll collect, explore, fix bugs and resolve problems as they found by modding community then.

So, you can take this answer as "yes, you all will test the stuff when it comes out", and yes, it will probably be buggy and will need a hundred of eyes and minds tracing the exported models in game for inaccuracy or incompatibility.

Concerning the RC20. To be honest, I have a deep feeling that I've found the cause and solved the problem... I've completely remastered the memory management code in an exporter for gta5, and I feel that we should no longer face the RC20 (or how it is called in gta5?). I can't say "I certainly did it" as I haven't exported anything yet. But my observations make me feel confident on this subject. It's far more than "I hope", it's closer to "I'm almost sure". :)
Mister Brooks

Post by Mister Brooks »

thanks Oleg for update status :D i can't waiting late july :D
Kirrre123

Post by Kirrre123 »

Sry im a bit noobish on this front but this all status updates u are doing does this involve in editing driveable .yft files with shaders and so on?
jani201

Post by jani201 »

he is going to find everything there is to find so we can mod cars and at some point, maybe peds too. for now just concentrating on cars.
Salaaar

Post by Salaaar »

Hi Oleg . thanks for your try .
oleg can you tell us when the plugin is ready for first use ? (i know first use maybe have many problems ) :?: :wink:
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

it is impossible to say. things are not working properly currently and I can't say when this could be sorted out.
Salaaar

Post by Salaaar »

Oleg wrote:it is impossible to say. things are not working properly currently and I can't say when this could be sorted out.
Okey Oleg . Thanks .
fps

Post by fps »

any updates?
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

I've found that model.yft and model_hi.yft files must be exported from the same scene and contain identical hierarchy. In current implementation model.yft and mode_hi.yft are loaded as different hierarchies allowing different scenes to be produced on export. this will lead to a appcrash later as tests has shown, so my current scene setup is not good from this point of view. I have to remaster it by allowing model.yft and model_hi.yft to be able to load and merge into single hierarchy. This is a bit tricky in contrast to "create scene from file content", so I need several days more prior to releasing the importer.

additionally, my fast and rough implementation of groups (that were needed for proper gta scene setup on import of some files) are not good too in Open/Merge scenarios and requires a hotfix.

These are two tasks that prevents me from releasing the importer right away.

Concerning the exporter, things went slightly better, but I'm not satisfied with stability yet. This does not include a pretty big chunk of unknown data (and as a result, missing in-game features). Making the very first exported model to run in game cost me melting brain and bleeding eyes during this week and I feel squeezed with a constant headache these days. :cry: Don't expect me to be in rush now, I'll work a bit slower now, as the hardest thing (in my opinion) has passed - this is the stage when exported model "looks Ok from the point of view of ZModeler (and open IV), but the game keep crashing on it). whilst i was on this stage I polished out my view of yft files the best I can, thinking to myself "I've got no ideas what else could be wrong" on each test attempt... trying here and there, this and that finally produced a working buffalo2 model parked nearby. That's what I've stop at to take a small rest due to the headaches.

Summary:
Importer (+some fixes in version 3.1.0 prior to release) will take several days more.
Exporter is on a stage when I can explore and test things, that are unknown in format. Those things which are impossible to decode when exporting is not available. So this will go on after importer release. Can't give any estimated timeframe here too, it's all the way of guess, trial and error attempts.
Kamel

Post by Kamel »

in game image?
thegreathah

Post by thegreathah »

Good news! Dont give yourself a headache. Thanks, can't wait to see what will be done with this when it is released.
Automan
Beginner

Post by Automan »

I did not understand when the game uses mode.yft and mode_hi.yft...
mode.yft only has less polygons to be used only as VLO...
Maybe it can avoid doing both? :)
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

model_hi.yft is a correct model file with geometry, hierarchy, materials and physics data, but the game takes physics/collision/hierarchy from model.yft file only and takes geometry+materials from model_hi.yft. Since geometry is bounded to hierarchy, an attempt to use hi-detailed geometry on a hierarchy from model.yft will fail unless their hierarchies match exactly. I don't know why they don't switch to higher-detailed physics and collision (from model_hi) when engine renders geometry from model_hi, as this looks logical to me (use physics and collision from the same file as the geometry currently rendered). The only explanation is that they exported both models from the same scene/hierarchy and never faced the problem of mismatching hierarchies on model and model_hi versions.

The model_yft is not a VLO, take is as ex-L0, L1, L2 and L3 models, whilst model_hi is considered as "ultra high detail". The bullet-shells and scratches are applied with respect to highest-detail model from model.yft. This is identical to IV version when L1 was used for tracing bullets and drawing bullet-shells on L0 model.

I haven't yet taken the consideration on availability of "L0" in ZModeler3. Currently I use L1, L2, L3 denotation in ZMod3, but I think L0 will come back. Just need to check things up with previously released WatchDogs filter, as it resides on L1, L2,...etc.
BLiZZ84

Post by BLiZZ84 »

This sounds really amazing, Oleg! I'm (and the whole GTA Modding scene) looking forward to the release of your filters. Just impressive!
Automan
Beginner

Post by Automan »

Oleg wrote:model_hi.yft is a correct model file with geometry, hierarchy, materials and physics data, but the game takes physics/collision/hierarchy from model.yft file only and takes geometry+materials from model_hi.yft. Since geometry is bounded to hierarchy, an attempt to use hi-detailed geometry on a hierarchy from model.yft will fail unless their hierarchies match exactly. I don't know why they don't switch to higher-detailed physics and collision (from model_hi) when engine renders geometry from model_hi, as this looks logical to me (use physics and collision from the same file as the geometry currently rendered). The only explanation is that they exported both models from the same scene/hierarchy and never faced the problem of mismatching hierarchies on model and model_hi versions.

The model_yft is not a VLO, take is as ex-L0, L1, L2 and L3 models, whilst model_hi is considered as "ultra high detail". The bullet-shells and scratches are applied with respect to highest-detail model from model.yft. This is identical to IV version when L1 was used for tracing bullets and drawing bullet-shells on L0 model.

I haven't yet taken the consideration on availability of "L0" in ZModeler3. Currently I use L1, L2, L3 denotation in ZMod3, but I think L0 will come back. Just need to check things up with previously released WatchDogs filter, as it resides on L1, L2,...etc.
Probably R* has complicated things to move more easily from oldgen .xft (XB360/PS3) in nextgen .yft (XB1/PS4/PC)...
I noticed that mode_hi.xft equals mode.yft (3D poly). :D
(The only major change is the dashboard and internal texture).
I think it will not be easy to make vehicles for GTA-V in this way. :/
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

nope, model_hi.yft and model.yft these are not the same in geometry. at least the buffalo2 model i'm messing with. you can see it in OpenIV with "edged facets" mode, the model_hi is about 30% more detailed than the highest of model.yft.

this does not mean it will be harder to create mods. I've made the export option for LODs: export "highest only" and "all but highest". So, if you have your IV vehicle with L0, L1, L2.. you will be able to export _hi model containing only L0 and the model.yft with L1 and L2. I'm trying to make modders life easier where possible.
Automan
Beginner

Post by Automan »

Yep! I said mod_hi_Xft XBox360 -> mode_Yft PC. :D
Anyway many thanks for the excellent work of all these years! :D
I made almost 500 mods for gta-sa with ZM2! :D
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

Has anybody ever faced a trainer that can render debug collision info? May be you can ask on specific forums or ask trainer developers for such a thing? This could help debug collisions in vehicles as currently it's a bit hard the mess with them without an ability to actually see them...

Edit: I'm attaching first screenshot of in-game tests. This is an import-exported buffalo2 (and buffalo2_hi) with a ball model attached to bool (as "misc_f"). Additionally, an embedded texture is tested (it's applied both as texture and bump layer, whilst bump is not clearly seen on this screen due to the sunset). the passenger door collision was in test - it collides with scenery and drops off after some contact with line pole. The collision of "misc_f" sphere is a point to research, as it reacts to bullet tracing (you see the bullet holes on it) but it does not interact with the player or scenery in most of cases. The player can climb on it and falls through the next second. On the other hand, after exploding the vehicle, the "misc_f" behaves as a regular object: player can push it and stand on it.
gta5collisions01.jpg
that's what I'm currently messing with. Additionally, I'm refining the scene assembly code of the importer as mentioned in earlier posts (to be able to export model.yft and model_hi.yft from the same scene).

Edit2: reuploaded a slightly different version with better illumination...
gta5collisions02.jpg
AventadorGT3

Post by AventadorGT3 »

Oleg wrote:Has anybody ever faced a trainer that can render debug collision info? May be you can ask on specific forums or ask trainer developers for such a thing? This could help debug collisions in vehicles as currently it's a bit hard the mess with them without an ability to actually see them...

Edit: I'm attaching first screenshot of in-game tests. This is an import-exported buffalo2 (and buffalo2_hi) with a ball model attached to bool (as "misc_f"). Additionally, an embedded texture is tested (it's applied both as texture and bump layer, whilst bump is not clearly seen on this screen due to the sunset). the passenger door collision was in test - it collides with scenery and drops off after some contact with line pole. The collision of "misc_f" sphere is a point to research, as it reacts to bullet tracing (you see the bullet holes on it) but it does not interact with the player or scenery in most of cases. The player can climb on it and falls through the next second. On the other hand, after exploding the vehicle, the "misc_f" behaves as a regular object: player can push it and stand on it.
gta5collisions01.jpg

that's what I'm currently messing with. Additionally, I'm refining the scene assembly code of the importer as mentioned in earlier posts (to be able to export model.yft and model_hi.yft from the same scene).

Edit2: reuploaded a slightly different version with better illumination...
gta5collisions02.jpg
I guess the game only uses chassis[COL], and extra[COL] for testing collision.
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

nope, it uses all [COL] with respect to settings on these COL objects. The col object needs correct IDs on polygons and additionally correct user-defined properties set on the node itself. Currently it looks like the game rejects COL unless some interaction has happened. For example, it will not trace bullets to doors and player will not collide door until I open this door. the same with my "extra_f" attached to boot. unless the game applies interaction to boot (when you smash the car while reversing, it opens the boot after some hits), the player does not collide with a ball, and after interaction he collides properly, scenery objects and peds collide too. So I need to find out what exactly changes in game during interaction that "wrong collision model" becomes "good collision" instantly. will perform some tests this weekend.

to say, beside this issue above, unknown parts are:
1. cloth-simulated data
2. glass crash info (the data that makes holes in crashed windows and windscreen). Currently windows are unbreakable and do not trace bullets.

These are my observations on buffalo2 (also "dune" a "barracks" replacement tests). I haven't tested yet bike, boat, plane models, there could be other things to mess with.
Automan
Beginner

Post by Automan »

This work in progress looking good!
We can have a list of the hierarchy of models yft/hi_yft, just to begin to have an idea of hell where we go from here ?! :D