GTA4 WFT Export discussion

GTA San Andreas and GTA Vice City discussion.

Moderator: Oleg

Lt.Caine

Post by Lt.Caine »

Ok, I tried that, and the game still crashes if I shoot any of the windows :(
smokey8808

Post by smokey8808 »

strange.

oleg, maybe you have an idea ? :P
Lt.Caine

Post by Lt.Caine »

That would be greatly appreciated since this is an error that's been reoccurring throughout many of the models I edit, and it's come to the point where I've had to scrap most since this bug makes them unplayable, as the slightest stray bullet will crash the game -- not very practical for police cars :(
Eryk03

Post by Eryk03 »

a new convert and have the same problem with the lights but now I cant fix
headlights do not shine!
screen of the hierarch:
what else can I do? :?
smokey8808

Post by smokey8808 »

Lt.Caine wrote:That would be greatly appreciated since this is an error that's been reoccurring throughout many of the models I edit, and it's come to the point where I've had to scrap most since this bug makes them unplayable, as the slightest stray bullet will crash the game -- not very practical for police cars :(
guys this is strange. now i got the same problem.

workin on this car mod everything is fine but as i was testing damage, shot windows, game crashed right away with a fatal error.

crazy thing is on previous car mods it worked like a charm. window meshes are mapped to gta iv standard material "vehglass". L1's are there too.
they appear fine in the game unless i fire a bullet on them the game crashes with a fatal error.

[COL] meshes have been properly edited too .. actually i did exactly the same just like on every other of my mods.

wtf is this caused by ? i have no idea how im supposed to fix that right now ... please help oleg !

btw: using registered latest zmodeler version, meshes are from nfs shift ... textures/material are standards from an ingame car.
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

has anyone a schafter-based model with "crash on shot" problem, so I can test it?
smokey8808

Post by smokey8808 »

hmmm i was able to fix it, friend suggested to reimport shift's model and convert those meshes again - it worked.

yet, i dont get what that "crash on impact" bug was caused by ...
Lt.Caine

Post by Lt.Caine »

So smokey, would I need to edit the regular meshes in any way, or do I simply need to import new COL meshes for all the windows from a default car?

Also, I would like to reiterate that even when I removed all the window related parts and exported, my game would crash when I shot through the where the windows would normally be.

Anyways, I'm gonna try your friend's suggestion smokey, and then I'll report back.
smokey8808

Post by smokey8808 »

well i think something was corrupted in my window meshes, once i reimported the original model and set up material & hierachy again, it worked. im not quite sure if that will work for you, but for me it did .. i used the default COL meshes of an ingame car, edited the vertices a bit to match the window shape .
Eryk03

Post by Eryk03 »

someone answer my question?
Lt.Caine

Post by Lt.Caine »

Yea, unfortunately it didn't work for me. I deleted the COLs for all my windows and replaced them with new ones from a default police2.wft, but the game still crashed when I shot the windows :(

I think I'm just gonna give up and wait for someone else to convert a 2003 Impala to GTAIV, cause this problem doesn't look like it's gonna go away... Too bad though, cause the car is done except for that.

Thanks for your continued help though smokey, I appreciate it :)
Eryk03

Post by Eryk03 »

What I would do without you
your help is so great

,,|,,
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

Eryk03, the headlight_l_L0 must be properly sorted. If it contains both emissive polygons and tint/glass polygons, you must select and detach tint/glass polygons into separate object. Hide it. if you see emissive polygons properly now, then attach tint/glass object back to headlight_l_L0.

This is not just "detach to take a look"; when you detach and attach polygons, you manually sort them inside of an object.
Lt.Caine

Post by Lt.Caine »

Ok, after having given up on the Impala, I went to work on another of my projects that has been on hold for a while.

Although it was fine at first, at one point, for no apparent reason, three of the doors began to disappear in-game and project gigantic polygons all over the screen. (It was exported with the latest version of ZM.) Oh, and I did the RotY thing from the scene export tutorial (as well as making the door dummies spherical and non-solid), and unfortunately it made no difference.

So here's what my fire truck looks like in-game:

Last edited by Lt.Caine on Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

reduce polygons count on your model. your hit the limits of wft file capacity. ZModeler will still export your file, but it's not guaranteed to work properly ingame.

by the way... the crash ingame when you shot the windscreen is probably the same issue.

for example, delete all doors and interior and try ingame - the car might work fine.

Hint: never use the same high-detailed models ( _L0 models) for _low-detailed version ( _L1 models). L1 should be really low-detailed, not a duplicate of high-detailed mesh.
Lt.Caine

Post by Lt.Caine »

Ok, thanks Oleg, Ill try that.

And is there a simple way to convert a high detailed part into a low detailed one? Or would I have to create the part from scratch myself?
smokey

Post by smokey »

oleg ! my account is inactive ? can you please reactivate it ? i didnt know that it takes approval when i change my profile :/

greetings, smokey8808
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

smokey8808, done.
Lt.Caine

Post by Lt.Caine »

I can't believe I didn't think of this when I posted my last reply, but I'm using the default version of the fire truck, so it isn't possible that the poly count is over the limit. I just added a light bar and a couple of lights here and there.
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

:confused:
Lt.Caine

Post by Lt.Caine »

lol Sorry :P

You said that I needed to reduce the polygon count on my fire truck model because you said I may have reached the limit.

But, the model I used is the default fire truck model from GTAIV -- I just modified it a bit -- so the polygon count is not that different. So what I'm saying is that it's impossible that I went over the polygon limit (for the fire truck).

(Also, is it possible to transform high detailed models into low detailed models, or do low detailed models have to be made from scratch?)
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

I see that the firetruck is nearly the same as original, that is why I got no idea why poly limit was hit.. original model is still heavy-detailed.

low-detailed meshes could be made with Modify\Weld -> Multiple target mode and then adjusted manually..
Archer

Post by Archer »

Доброго времени суток! Я хотел бы спросить по поводу одного бага, конвертирую последним билдом, и последней версией плагина.
Проблема в том что этот баг я наблюдаю на всех моделях, разных авторов, но в разной стпени заметности. Заметил что на родных ГТА моделях такого нету...
В моем случае это очень заметно, на некоторых матах тень неправильно отоброжается.

Есть решение этой проблемой, с чем это связано?

cameleot

Post by cameleot »

yo, when I try to import .wft files, the zmodeler just crashes, and that happens to some props, not all. what can I do? it just says "zmodeler has encountered an error"