GTA IV: .WFT import filter in ZModeler v2.2.1

GTA San Andreas and GTA Vice City discussion.

Moderator: Oleg

switchdesigns

Post by switchdesigns »

So can you import a wdr model file into zmodeler like say the model for the sledge hammer in the weapons.img file and then move it's position and then export it back into the game but renameing it and replaceing it with the bat by renameing it w_bat.wdr???? You can currently take the sledgehammer.wdr file rename it to w_ bat.wdr and it will show up in the game but it's position is off! There's like 50 models I wanna do this with I even found a sword model but to replace the knife or bat with it and have it look right I need to rotate the model and move it up a bit... I know car modeling is important but if you can get a car in the game this should be like a 15 min project for ya. And even thoe zmod2 will not export cars fully yet if you could make it import and export a wdr file you will have the first modeling program to import and export at least one kind of model file for gtaiv and I would be able to make like seriously at least 50 top knotch mods for gtaiv..

I just need to be able to import a wdr file into zmodeler2, move it (on some rotate it) and export it back to a .wdr file and i need it to keep all texture mapping data because some models that i have replaced with say the grenade find their textures from a wtd file located somewhere else than in the weapons.img file. I have a hard time explaining this part but i'll try: Say i get a model from lev_des/minigame.img of a severed head! it's just a wdr file. It still needs a texture file but I could not find one in the minigame.img for it! so i just replaced the severed head model with the wdr model file for the grenade in the weapons.img file and then loaded the game ! The head had textures, I did not need to replace the grenade.wtd file for the model to find it's textures. So I figure that the .wdr file has data in it that tells it where to look for it's textures in the games files! That info needs to stay the same! I don't even need to be able to change the model or add my own models all i need is import>move/rotate option>export seeing as i'l be using models that are already in the game not new ones this should be easy right!

Hell if you can just get a .wdr file made by rockstar in and out of zmodeler and don't feel that you want to release it to the general public can you at least send me the filter switchdesigns@comcast.net (I would love to be the only modder to be able to use the models in the game that I have found for mods,) I have already found a sword, 4 different knifes, a firemans axe and a pipewrench to start off with all have position issues!

ALSO SORRY IF IT SEEMS LIKE I"M BUGGIN YOU ALOT ABOUT THIS! Your just like one of the only guys in the world that I know that has the ability and is smart enough to make this happen! I have no one else to ask >.< and the more sweet ass weapon models i find in the game that don't sit in the right position in nicos hand the more I want to beg for a way to move them!
Last edited by switchdesigns on Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Automan
Beginner

Post by Automan »

It seems to player and peds the mesh was separated from the bones.
Player: mesh (WDR) - bones (WFT)
Peds: mesh (WDD) - bones (WFT)
So perhaps it would be easier for ZM2 can also change the peds...
(Even the environment is WDR).
that guy

Post by that guy »

We could really use some support for wdr files! WFT files are only like 10% of the models in the game maybe not even that much!
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

Yup, I'll examine WDR and WDD files when I'm done with WFT files. I think WDR and WDD are just parts of WFT, while WFT is kept as a "complete model in one file". I can't say exactly, but I suspect that "mesh" WDR and WDD are similar to "mesh part" of WFT.

Later.
Switch Designs

WDR

Post by Switch Designs »

Oleg wrote:Yup, I'll examine WDR and WDD files when I'm done with WFT files. I think WDR and WDD are just parts of WFT, while WFT is kept as a "complete model in one file". I can't say exactly, but I suspect that "mesh" WDR and WDD are similar to "mesh part" of WFT.

Later.
wdr files do not have a wft file for them only cars are bones and model all in one wft file as well as having a wtd texture file and peds have wdd for the model and a wft file for bones as well as a wtd texeure file..

How ever the wdr format that is used for the weapons has no associated wft file and they are simple one piece models and each one has a wtd texture file! wdr files would be much easier to wrok with seeing as they don't do anything, they don't take damage or have damaged parts, they have no bones, they are just a simple one piece model... there is even programs that allow you to import a wdr file into 3ds max!

please reconcider your thoughts on wdr files and how simple they would be to get in and out of your program.... As a modder and a modeler I see wdr files as an easy way for zmodeler 2 to become the first modeling program to put a model back into GTAIV.
[ion] C2

Post by [ion] C2 »

I am MUCH more anticipating the WFT filter. Hope it's coming along well. :)
Switch Designs

Post by Switch Designs »

[ion] C2 wrote:I am MUCH more anticipating the WFT filter. Hope it's coming along well. :)
Well that's nice but it doesn't change the fact and we need import and export for both types also i have attached something special to help Oleg get started... It's a model of a bomb and it is in wft format and wdr format... I assume they made one a wft because it was attached to a truck!

This model works pretty good to as a replacement for the grenade as seen in my latest mod found at http://www.gtaforlife.com
Switch Designs

Post by Switch Designs »

Topic has been quiet for many days! Any progress to report on GTAIV import and export plugin for wdr wft and wdd files in Zmodeler2?
[ion] C2

Post by [ion] C2 »

x2
fuckindumass

Post by fuckindumass »

I'm just quietly waiting, working on a couple models, hoping they won't require too much rework (making them SA style) ;)

Keep up the good work Oleg <3
um really

Post by um really »

um oleg can you say something we are all just sitting here twitteiing our thumbs and other apendeges! You are the only one who can do this ..... Help us pleaseeeeeeeee!
_aLeX

Post by _aLeX »

He said that he's working every day on it but has no solution yet.
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

yup. I can't isolate the problem to say "yes, the problem is somewhere in this point". no no no. At the moment I'm completely nowhere, trying to locate the problem on screenshots.

001 - is an exported schafter model - high detail - you see, it's completely OK.
002 - the same model. I moved away, you see a medium-detailed mesh which is distored. Usually, distortion of polygons is way more dramatic - polys fly away to infinity all around the screen and you can't see a thing.

Additionally, I have a nearly fine-working model exported. It has no wheels, but indeed it work fine on all level of details; it's ok after loading save-game, it's ok in almost all game aspects and I don't really see what makes this model so unique and why other exports fails ingame.

Post by Guest »

Oleg wrote:yup. I can't isolate the problem to say "yes, the problem is somewhere in this point". no no no. At the moment I'm completely nowhere, trying to locate the problem on screenshots.

001 - is an exported schafter model - high detail - you see, it's completely OK.
002 - the same model. I moved away, you see a medium-detailed mesh which is distored. Usually, distortion of polygons is way more dramatic - polys fly away to infinity all around the screen and you can't see a thing.

Additionally, I have a nearly fine-working model exported. It has no wheels, but indeed it work fine on all level of details; it's ok after loading save-game, it's ok in almost all game aspects and I don't really see what makes this model so unique and why other exports fails ingame.
Maybe try deleteing the low res model parts from the file... i used to delete vlow model parts all the time in SA! (or i would just replace the vlow with a high res version of the model i was using so that it looked hot up close or far away lol!)
switchdesigns

Post by switchdesigns »

Anonymous wrote:
Oleg wrote:yup. I can't isolate the problem to say "yes, the problem is somewhere in this point". no no no. At the moment I'm completely nowhere, trying to locate the problem on screenshots.

Maybe try deleteing the low res model parts from the file... i used to delete vlow model parts all the time in SA! (or i would just replace the vlow with a high res version of the model i was using so that it looked hot up close or far away lol!)
I agree I would do the same in SA! And WOW Oleg you got me so excited right now that I could burst! i can see my GTAIV modding carreer taking off everytime you get closer to the export filter! If not for you and zmodeler2 modders like me would be lost! (Besides I'm running out of mods Ideas seeing as i'm limited to only texture edits and using models already within the game that are positioned right!) Oh and did my bomb wft and wdr files help any?

Keep up the Awesome work! We love ya man!!! WooT

Also all this time I thought that all wdr files have a texture file assoiated with them and have since learned that some have embeded textures thats why with like the head grenades I made did not need a texture file and why I couldn't find one! In spark if you double click a wdr model it opens the 3d view of the model but if you click edit instead you can open the textures for that model file if it has embeded textures.... I like that it allows the textures to be embeded into the model file but it is only like that for some wdr files while others have a texture file like weapons >.< it's so confusing...
_aLeX

Post by _aLeX »

I guess that there is no chance to get some support or ideas from R* to solve the problem, right?
EmsterFan

Post by EmsterFan »

damn oleg, that some serious shit here, and i just cant wait to convert some cars from juiced2 to gta :P
but honestly, i dont really belive in your post
atleast you could've added some random shit to it (like boxes and spheres)

keep up the good work
03C0

Post by 03C0 »

Modifying cars is currently the least of his concerns. Importing a GTAIV vehicle and exporting it again, unmodified, is the best way for him to see if the export filter is working properly.

Keep it up Oleg :)
chiefwhosm

Post by chiefwhosm »

Okay, so you import the car, then export it again into game.

What happens if you then import the car back into zmodeller?

Are the LOD models messed up like they are in-game, or does the car come in without any problems back into ZM?

Could it be that there are some vertices not welded together and draw distance for whatever reason makes them stretch to points in space they shouldnt be at?
mira

madels

Post by mira »

yes, we need new models
OLEG make it! :)
lkegley9

Post by lkegley9 »

Very nice job so far Oleg. Yes I realize its far from finished, but something like this takes time. I wish you the best of luck and I hope you get it figured soon. I imagine myself driving a McLaren F1 sometimes. >_<
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

it would be clean and perfect ages ago, if modified model imported back to zmodeler would appear distored the same way as in GTA. no. it's fully OK in ZMod when reimported. I have to confess, I had an exporter written in early March. And for several monthes I've been trying to locate this "distortion" problem. I doubt it I could point an exact reason, but following some general hints, filter code could produce properly working models in half of cases. It gives a seriouse file-size penalty, but al least it raises a chance to get a working model.

I don't like this manner - the filter can't guarantee a working model output, but it seems like I had to release it in this state. Once again: over 2.5 monthes I've got no spot where the problem is. If solution will be found only reimport of model will be needed (no changes have to be made in scene or model itself).

some screens of CLK DTM body replacing Schafter body:
lkegley9

Post by lkegley9 »

Why not try and view your model in a model viewer instead of in GTA. See if its something in the GTA code itself or for some reason, when GTA reads your model, it turns out badly. If you use a model viewer and it looks perfectly fine, then we'll have to contact Rockstar on this or something of the sorts, because this should be simple, yet its difficult.

Also, good job though so far seriously. I know this takes time and effort, and I do hope this problem is a simple fix. Good luck. :D
City_Poke912

Post by City_Poke912 »

Whoa! You are brilliant! When release export plugin for Zmod? What about damage?
Wichur's

Post by Wichur's »

Ohh Oleg you are a genius :D
I still wait for plugin :) nice progress. What about damages of body?