GTA IV: .WFT import filter in ZModeler v2.2.1

GTA San Andreas and GTA Vice City discussion.

Moderator: Oleg

blue.book

Post by blue.book »

Oleg wrote:sorry, but i'm still there. face to face to a buggy export. After a long time of messing and replacing "original" data and "exported" I've located that problem is in layout (order/padding/align) of mesh/geometry block. My geometry block "attached" to structure part (the part that organizes the mesh hierarchy, phisics, collision, materials, shaders, etc.) produces buggy file (with messed geometry as shown above). Original geometry "attached" to exported structure part works fine.

Literally, filter exports correct mesh organization and arrangement, including collision, hierarchy, materials and shaders, but the mesh geometry data is laid a bit improperly (in terms of game requirements), so I get messed mesh randomly. For example, exported model might work fine on high detail, but when I restart the game, I get some messed parts, after I load a saved game I get much more messed parts and just few minutes later game hangs up.
may be problem with coordinate format or something like this :?:
game calculate points position and slowly add error, when load savegame last position of objects are read with the error added and the corruption increases up to crash
Doberman

Post by Doberman »

Oleg wrote:sorry, but i'm still there. face to face to a buggy export. After a long time of messing and replacing "original" data and "exported" I've located that problem is in layout (order/padding/align) of mesh/geometry block. My geometry block "attached" to structure part (the part that organizes the mesh hierarchy, phisics, collision, materials, shaders, etc.) produces buggy file (with messed geometry as shown above). Original geometry "attached" to exported structure part works fine.

Literally, filter exports correct mesh organization and arrangement, including collision, hierarchy, materials and shaders, but the mesh geometry data is laid a bit improperly (in terms of game requirements), so I get messed mesh randomly. For example, exported model might work fine on high detail, but when I restart the game, I get some messed parts, after I load a saved game I get much more messed parts and just few minutes later game hangs up.
Does this apply for just like, cars? Or are all the models messed up when you export them?
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

I'm working with the only model at the moment - schafter. I have a several savegames with this vehicle nearby. I think other models will result in same mesh corruption.
Switch Designs

Post by Switch Designs »

The reason your having so many issues is because you started with wft files and not simple wdr files! Cars are so complicated and weapons are not! I just don't understand!
I mean i get it that you started working on something and don't wanna stop till you get it (that kind of dedication is a really special thing!) but maybe just put it on hold for a bit and try to work on a wdr filter. I would find that while trying to make things work in GTA that I would need to take a break from a problem mod and make something easy. It gave me time to think about what I was doing and it would useally help me find a solution to my problem!

GTA seems to be one game that when your trying to make things work you sometimes have to do stuff in a way that seems wrong to make it work right.

Just please consider this request seeing as we will all love you just as much for making a way to edit weapons as we will when you come up with a way to edit cars!
Oleg wrote:I'm working with the only model at the moment - schafter. I have a several savegames with this vehicle nearby. I think other models will result in same mesh corruption.
Chasez

Post by Chasez »

[quote="Switch Designs"]The reason your having so many issues is because you started with wft files and not simple wdr files! Cars are so complicated and weapons are not! I just don't understand!
I mean i get it that you started working on something and don't wanna stop till you get it (that kind of dedication is a really special thing!) but maybe just put it on hold for a bit and try to work on a wdr filter. I would find that while trying to make things work in GTA that I would need to take a break from a problem mod and make something easy. It gave me time to think about what I was doing and it would useally help me find a solution to my problem!

GTA seems to be one game that when your trying to make things work you sometimes have to do stuff in a way that seems wrong to make it work right.

Just please consider this request seeing as we will all love you just as much for making a way to edit weapons as we will when you come up with a way to edit cars!

Post by Guest »

Switch Designs wrote:The reason your having so many issues is because you started with wft files and not simple wdr files! Cars are so complicated and weapons are not! I just don't understand!

Oleg wrote:I'm working with the only model at the moment - schafter. I have a several savegames with this vehicle nearby. I think other models will result in same mesh corruption.
No way man! Cars gotta be first! F**K the weapons, Prince-Link is working on WDR file format so we need the WFT format. Oleg, keep up the good work and show us all how good you are;)

P.S. sorry for the double post:(
Vermoot

Post by Vermoot »

Keep goin' Oleg, can't wait :D
Just a little question...Will it be really really hard to make GTA4 cars ? I mean, harder than GTASA (I think so, but how harder ^^)?

Sry for my english, french people are following you too ;D
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

it's nearly the same as GTA:SA, but you are limited to a set of shaders. Each shader uses predefined-purpose textures, but you can adjust some of settings slightly.

For example, you can't simply use color-painted material, you have to assign some shader; the one which is close enough are "paint" shaders, but they all require at least one texture - texture with dirt mapping. (something like vehiclegrunge in gtaSA). Also, some commonly used shaders require additional "specular" texture - this is a black and white texture that defines level of specular highlight. Literally, you have to deal much more with textures when making a gta4 car.

concerning the mesh and scene - it's nearly as simple as GTA:SA. The most important thing that changed is a collision - you have to create solid (water-proof) volumes for all parts that can collide with the world. For example, you can't use just "this sphere is a front driver door" like in GTA - you have to create a solid (simple box), and then it can interact with the world. One thing that became simplier is shadow - GTA4 renders shadow automatically.
Vermoot

Post by Vermoot »

Nice, I worried about people who make cars (I'd like to, but I don't really know how ^^). I was wondering if there were going to be less car makers because it was going to be harder...but now it's cool ;D
Good luck !
Chasez
Beginner

Post by Chasez »

I can't wait to finaly replace the old cars with new ones:)
Lies

Post by Lies »

Untill Prince Link releases the dff to wdr tool I don't believe such a tool exist (his images could have been made up!) If oleg can't do it what makes you think the Prince Link guy can?
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

I think wdr files are quite simple and it's very very possible to convert dff to wdr. I've skimmed shortly through wdr of cause.
Chasez
Beginner

Post by Chasez »

Oleg wrote:I think wdr files are quite simple and it's very very possible to convert dff to wdr. I've skimmed shortly through wdr of cause.
Please Oleg, be a GTA IV god help us to feed our modding hunger:D
speesy

messed up meshes..

Post by speesy »

Long time, no post..
First of all.. Kudos to you Oleg! It's intense waiting and watching you to finish it... especially now, that you're so close.
But these dynamic damages still boggle me.. it seems (as i've observed) that:
- damage is seen only on highest LOD (so walking away from the damaged car to the point of it loading a lower detail model (no damages) and then walking back to it loads the damaged model, not the original (undamaged). the "damage memory" part probably contains only the weights for individual vertex movements (damaged mesh) and some texture data (scratches).
So my question is.. Does anyone know for this to be true and if so, is the "damage data" part always present but zeroed out (all vertex weights = 0 and texture flags = off) with undamaged/just spawned vehicles or does it allocate memory/space at the time of impact?
In my case i have a few occassions where i've hit a car with great speed at "unpleasant" angles and the game crashed completely. (note that i have a bit different handling properties - a higher damage factor and speed, making damages quite bigger than default by Rockstar) so i guess in this occassions my GTA crashes because of a similar problem to yours - screwed up vertices to the point where they souldn't be.
Am i way off here?
Radu-Cristian

Post by Radu-Cristian »

how about the city .. can u make an plugin to import map section too?
Vermoot

Post by Vermoot »

Radu-Cristian > After a few explorations, I think buildings models are .wdr files. So, I think it's gonna be possible, as Oleg said just before...
Am I Right ?
Sylvania

Post by Sylvania »

Uh yeah buildings walk along the same road as cars do, but they're not as complex, so buildings are usually for sure. It's like a 95% chance buildings will be moddable.

Just like the wait for the GTASA export filter, everyone just needs to be patient :)
Radu-Cristian

Post by Radu-Cristian »

no.. i ask that.. because i wanna convert the whole city to gtasa

Post by Guest »

Radu-Cristian wrote:no.. i ask that.. because i wanna convert the whole city to gtasa
That will be hard.... GTA4 uses more polygons then SA... but good luck ;)
Guest-2

Post by Guest-2 »

Whats the point converting "New-LC" to SA?

I would understand converting SA to the IV engine, but come on... are you insane???...
EmsterFan

Post by EmsterFan »

Anonymous wrote:
Radu-Cristian wrote:no.. i ask that.. because i wanna convert the whole city to gtasa
That will be hard.... GTA4 uses more polygons then SA... but good luck ;)
actually no, its just using another engine than gta for what i know ;)
I just wanna mod weapons

Post by I just wanna mod weapons »

I just wanna mod weapons! Please please please make a WDR filter!
Sod weapons

Post by Sod weapons »

Forget Weapons, We wanna drive real cars!, and by the time we've changed most of the cars, we'll be able to change the weapons too!.
Automan
Beginner

Post by Automan »

Was WDR-Viewer that transforms the WTD in WEF, and are imported into 3DSMax.
Only then that the weapons do not work...
It is easy to guess that it is not enough to replace the 3D, but there is more to change. :)
Art.G.

Post by Art.G. »

Hi,Oleg.Are there any news about export filter? :roll: I know that you work hard,but I can't wait no more :D GTA IV is so boring without new objects and cars:(
:lol: