Weight Transfer Not Working

GTA San Andreas and GTA Vice City discussion.

Moderator: Oleg

boxteam1

Weight Transfer Not Working

Post by boxteam1 »

Hello,

I am new to Zmodeler, so I may be missing something very basic here..... trying to create a custom Ped model for GTA V. I am running into an issue with the weight transfer. I am using the bankman yft and ydd files, followed tutorials on the basic procedure, and still it is not working. The custom obj has been binded to the skel, and when I copy the weight from the original mesh to the custom mesh, a slow progress bar pops up and shows that the calculation is happening. However, when I select the bone to view the weight, not coloration shows up on the custom mesh, but it does show up on the base mesh. What could be causing this problem?

Thank you
Oleg
Site Admin

Re: Weight Transfer Not Working

Post by Oleg »

make sure you toggle "Rigging" and set Bones count to 4 on properties of your obj geometry before wight coping.

Also, you should see coloring of weight on original mesh before you import. when you hover a mesh, skeleton should get lime color.

your skeleton .skel object have to be in .global branch before you import .ydd file.

There is an option to toggle weight coloring and rigging in each viewport (drop-down menu with icons on top of every viewport), ensure these options are toggled there.
boxteam1

Post by boxteam1 »

Oleg wrote:make sure you toggle "Rigging" and set Bones count to 4 on properties of your obj geometry before wight coping.

Also, you should see coloring of weight on original mesh before you import. when you hover a mesh, skeleton should get lime color.

your skeleton .skel object have to be in .global branch before you import .ydd file.

There is an option to toggle weight coloring and rigging in each viewport (drop-down menu with icons on top of every viewport), ensure these options are toggled there.
Thank you for the help.

For the first part, where I toggle rigging and set bone count, where can i find these settings? Under properties i see no data for my obj ('default' in the attached screenshot).

I am confused about the .global branch part, is the hierarchy of my scene wrong? I import the obj first, then the ytd, delete the mesh attached to ytd, then import the ydd and begin the process.

Screenshot--> https://imgur.com/l5QqU1J
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

Your .obj was imported with no "Optimize vertices" option. it is strongly advised to use it.

Your will see properties for selected scene element. In particular, you can hold Alt and click on visibility mark of an object in hierarchy view. visibility mark will turn red (and object will turn red in viewports) = selected object. Properties window will show properties for current selection.

hierarchy of your scene could be wrong, it's impossible to say whether it's OK or not on your sceenshot.

once you imported the .yft file with skeleton, you should rename ig_bankman to .global
then you can import .ydd file. This import scenario will create ig_bankman again with .mesh objects under respective branches, but these .mesh objects will use skeleton from .global branch rather than from .ydd file you've imported. Skeleton in .ydd file could be incomplete and this can cause problems on export. It's impossible to see this problem until you export a model and test it in game. So rely on steps above to be sure you go the right way.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:46 pm.