Texturing

Discuss ZModeler 1 series issues here, ask for help and help others to become advanced users

Moderator: Oleg

Richard

Re: Texturing

Post by Richard »

I have another question about texturing, I have noticed that when you texture some polygons you also have other polygons that were textured before highlighted in Red.

Why is that? I tried using the selection box in the tool bar and just selecting any space in any of the windows to see if it would go. But it doesn't.
Flag of Nevada
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

Highlighted in red = selected elements. You can select/deselect elements as you like using Select tools. Most of these tools applied with CTRL key will perform deselection.

Selected polygons have nothing to do with UV Mapping, it's just a ready-state for some action. UV Mapping in a run does not sets or removes selection on geometry when you apply EditUV.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Is it possible to have more than one texture on the same piece of mesh? :?

I don't think it is possible, as when I gave this a try my textured polygons turned to the new texture.
Flag of Nevada
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

most of filters will not support this properly, just few will work fine.

you need to
1. load additional texture in materials editor.
2. open "Apply As..." diaog and specify:
2.a "Use UV Channel:" -> "Manual UV Channel #2".
2.b simple vs advaned mode : Mix with previouse (MODULATE) or any other "mix" method. For example, dark textures could be mixed with "Add" (ADD) or "Low-level additive" (ADDSIGNED) or "Low-level enviroment" (MULTIPLYADD).
3. select vertices, right-click and pick "Edit\UV Mapping". In a dialog of options set:
3.a Edit UV channel: #2
3.b Generate New
3.c Ok.
4. open UV Mapper and edit UV mapping for channel #2 of your object. It will alter texture #2 stretching on your mesh, while UV #1 with texture #1 will stay unaffected.

P.S. GTA4 use this for "dirt/mud/snow" layer mapping on the mesh. TDU uses this for Dirt/Mud too. Actual purpose of multy-channel materials could be any that game needs.
Richard

Post by Richard »

:shock: I find this confusing.

Would it not be easiest to just seperate the piece of the mesh from the entire mesh so I can texture the rest of it a different colour. :)
Flag of Nevada
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

hmmm... what?

if you need different textures on different polygons, then simply select some polygons and assign different material onto them. quite simple.

if you wish to UV map them and do not alter uv-mapping on neighbour polygons (that use different texture and different UV mapping), then you need to detach these polygons before using "edit UV". A Detach tool has an options that disable drag/move and do not detach into new object. a so-called "inplace detach" is performed when no visual changes occures, but you are safe to edit UV mapping on detached polygons/vertices.

The post above was in case you need two textures on the same polygon and different UV mapping for each of textures.
Richard

Post by Richard »

What I did was just seperate the polygons into a new object and that seems to be okay for now... :|
Flag of Nevada
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

ok. It was described in details here:
http://www.zmodeler2.com/docs/program/t ... index.html
See "Split and uv-map" aproach. "Area" mapping. section in a bottom of the article.
Richard

Post by Richard »

That way was different from the way I did it, as all I did was just create a copy of the mesh and deleted the polygons I didn't need, and that was it. I think it's done the job.
Flag of Nevada
Richard

Post by Richard »

I have never quite known how to get a tread image looking correct on the tread section of a wheel, do you have to texture each bit seperately? Here it is, I muddle a texture with that object so it has a side image of a van on it. As you can make out we have six polygons per section, so that must be tread 1, 2, 3 each around that wheel object?
Flag of Nevada
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

there is no easy way... you can do it by texturing each small fragment.
Richard

Post by Richard »

I see, so I have to texture it the way I thought, then I unify it, and that should be okay? So long as the bitemap file is with the z3d there shouldn't be any problems.
Flag of Nevada
Richard

Post by Richard »

Here is my progress with it.

I have created and textured some pieces pieces so far, so the rest I have to do.

It isn't easy to find the correct textures for models, I will say that! :roll: The images can sometimes be too bright or too dark or not the right size. If you don't own a vehicle you are left with what is available on the web. :mrgreen:
Attachments
TreadTexturing.JPG
Flag of Nevada
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

I think you can detach polygons of the thread, copy them, rotate and attach again, so you can get a complete 360 degreese thread.

Post by Guest »

I have managed to do it, it's okay. I did it the slow way. I tried to mirror it and all that but it meant that I would have to get it round. I decided just to do it the long way with a good result. Is the image upload format disabled here?
Richard

Post by Richard »

I wasn't logged in.
Flag of Nevada