Texturing

Discuss ZModeler 1 series issues here, ask for help and help others to become advanced users

Moderator: Oleg

Richard

Texturing

Post by Richard »

Hi there

Does texturing require that all the textures are placed in one folder with the z3d file outside of that folder, as well the bitemap images have the same name as the mesh pieces of a model?

I think I'm getting somewhere with the texturing, though not the result I want.

I'm not applying them correctly, like the UV mapping.
Flag of Nevada
Richard

Re: Texturing

Post by Richard »

This example shows I've textured the bumper using the "black" bmp image, yet I can't seem to find the bumper black from the folder I placed it in. Is it because the file has to be in the same folder?
Attachments
texturingex1.JPG
Flag of Nevada
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

there are no relation to scene objects and textures you are using.

In general, you prepare textures outside of ZModeler (you can use a frontal photo of real car in a begining, so you don't mess with real textures currently). All texture files should be copied into the same folder as the .z3d file. In such a case, ZModeler will load textures properly when you open .z3d file.

ZModeler does not load *all* textures; your .z3d file specifies texture filenames that are used by materials and ZModeler tries to load these textures.

You can assign variouse textures onto materials. Each texture can be used in different materials at the same time, so you can have slightly different appearence of textured geometry using just one texture file;

You have to assign material(s) onto polygons of geometry manually. Select object(s) or polygon(s), pick desired material in materials editor and press "Assign to selection".

Initial texture painting (or UV Mapping) of geometry is the upper-left pixel of texture. So, when you assign textured material, polygons will take a color of upper-left pixel of according material's texture.

select polygons and apply "UV mapping", so texture is "stretched" over the mesh as you need. There are plenty of tutorials on a subject.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Hello Oleg.

Well, I have given this a try.

It hasn't worked out, what have I done wrong? If you can see what I haven't done correctly.

And i did place the z3d file with the two textures in the same folder, called textures.

Thanks
Attachments
texturingex2.JPG
Flag of Nevada
Richard

Post by Richard »

This is what I've ended up with, is this any progress further?

I feel as If I've all over the place with this.
Flag of Nevada
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

you will not learn textureing until you load a texture image. Load any photo image into material. You need a photo or texture shown in UV Mapper window, not a black square.

Once you do it, you will start learning very quick.
Richard

Post by Richard »

But the black square is a bitemap image. You have to load up the UV mapper window to continue the texturing stuff.

I followed a tutorial from esp website, and that was one of the stages. :roll:
Flag of Nevada
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

Richard wrote:But the black square is a bitemap image.
Do not use "black square bitmap image", or you will not understand how to UV map. Load any photo instead of this texture onto material, just any photo, and try to UV map from begining (using Surface\Mapping\EditUV -> "Generate New" mode).

It's like you are learning to drive the car when the windscreen is painted black. You don't see what's actually happen while the car moves.

Edit: sorry, you are using ZModeler1. Then you need to "Reset UV' then "Assign UV" (or how does this tool mamed)
Richard

Post by Richard »

I went through the tuturial again, used the side texture, which was the red one. I followed the instructions from the esp tutorial page. But then selected the other pieces and they are red too.

I'm notsure what I'm doing wrong.

You press E, click on copy and then type a name, the same as a texture.

Then select the bitemap, and press ok.

Then go to UV map and assign, right click on the faces, then select, single.

And the rest.

One thing in the program, when you load the bitemap should the mesh you have selected in 3D view turn red?
Flag of Nevada
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

Are you trying to learn how to UV map in ZModeler? Or you are wasting your time? do not use "black" or "red" texture" to LEARN uv-mapping. I don't mind if your car need a red side or black front bumper, if you want to learn UV mapping, use ANY photo of your car.

Of cause it will be very messy at the first time. But you will learn.

here's a photo
126_1987.jpg
You make it 512x512 pixels (it's not necessary for UV mapping and not a must while learning, so you can use it "as is"), then apply it to material for the "side" of your car. Then uv-map polygons like that:
126_1987_uv.jpg
Ok, the model is textured, but it's not that good, right? while you were trying to "stretch" an object in UV mapper onto this texture (you might even used vertices mode and moved each individual vertex or group of them in Selected mode), but this time you were LEARNING, and made certain considerations WHERE your 3D model is not accurate or "uv friendly" or even completely wrong and can't be mapped.

Next time you will make more accurate mesh (with lower polygons) and will map it more easlily.

Note: The perfect and clear 3D model is easy to UV map later.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Hi Oleg

I've done what you've said, and it has worked. I didn't uv map the full model, since I wanted to see the result.

So all I've got to do now with the red or the black is do the same method..

This is the first time in seven years of me having known and used this program. :shock: When I first created a very poor model, worst than the ones I have made since that time I was never interested in texturing, and at the end of the day without a model that looks something like a car, it was pointless then.

But when texturing the key problem is getting an image that isn't a plain one to fit correctly on a piece of mesh.
Flag of Nevada
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

yup. now you should move, rotate, scale and mirror an object in UV Mapper window until it fits properly onto proper area of texture. You will see changes happening in 3D.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Now that, I know how to do this.

When it concerns the red or a black bitemap or any other colour, how do you get those to appear the same way as that image?

Because when you use those solid colours then you end up with a coloured mesh.
Flag of Nevada
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

On your screenshot I see an uvmapping of front wing in UVMapper view. This object should be X- mirrored ; XY scaled and then X-scaled again to fit into proper area of texture.
Richard

Post by Richard »

So your saying I should continue with the example you gave first, and not press ahead with the texture I would prefer to use. :?
Flag of Nevada
Richard

Post by Richard »

Well, I have got a hang of the texturing, sort of.

It's a little messed up! I've textured the body using that car image, the wheel with a tread, and black for the side of the wheel, as you can see I have only done a little.

I suppose the reason why there is a gap between the black bitemap and the wheel tread bitemap is because I haven't UV mapped in the window the tread very well?

What i've also found is that texturing is a little annoying. :roll:
Flag of Nevada
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

nope, you did not textured.

this is what you should see (you should make it look like that using move/rotate/scale etc) in UV Mapper. When you will see the mesh this way in UV View, the car will be well-textured in 3D view;
126_1987_uv.jpg
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

Richard

Post by Richard »

That tutorial is for the newer program.

Remember I'm using the old one.

Btw, if we leave the UV/texturing aside for the moment. What about texturing the window mesh transparent?
Flag of Nevada
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

Richard wrote:That tutorial is for the newer program.

Remember I'm using the old one.

Btw, if we leave the UV/texturing aside for the moment. What about texturing the window mesh transparent?
Thare are much more UV-mapping tutorials for Zmodeler1 than we have for ZModeler2.

Concerning windows, you should make a material transparent, instead of texturing them.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Hi Oleg

I'm not to bad at the texturing I can texture, but the UV mapper is a slight problem. Once you get the mesh in the UV map window then you must get it sized to the square piece. And that should be okay..
Flag of Nevada
Richard

Post by Richard »

I've done fine with the window texture.

It was a breeze. I had searched an old topic from last year when I had asked how to create a transparent texture, Rich's post was my reference. :P
Flag of Nevada
Richard

Post by Richard »

Is using one texture in the editor for more than one model piece a good idea?

I have had a few problems while texturing a piece, another piece or more will be textured in the same image.

And even when you do uv mapping, sometimes the model piece is already highlighted in Red. :?
Flag of Nevada
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

yes, you can use one image to texture different pieces of the model. It can even suit an entire model in some cases.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Hi Oleg

Okay that's cool.

I've also noticed this, here in these images.
Flag of Nevada